Tuesday, May 6, 2008

It's an All-You-Can-Eat Spiritual Buffet!

Thoughts from Isaiah 55

“Ho everyone that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labour for that which satisfieth not?”

On a day like today when I am so overwhelmed with things that need to be done - when I get tired just thinking about it, when I have difficulty even prioritizing and organizing my thoughts and plans to accomplish at least something…I need nourishment and lots of it. I would falter before I even begin, or make an even bigger mistake - plunge in head first and just do whatever I can in my own strength, only to end up spinning my wheels, frustrated, fatigued, and still overwhelmed at the end of the day.

But God’s promises are forever, and are upheld by His sure mercies (v.3). This is such a beautiful thought to me, and such a beautiful and comforting passage. It speaks of that which is only supplied and satisfied by the Holy One (v.5):

“the waters” - the Spirit of God living in me, flowing through me
as promised, enabling, strengthening,
giving joy; my very salvation;
“milk” - sustenance and nourishment of the Word, simple enough
even a a baby can be filled to fullness, and sweet to all;
“wine” - sweet fellowship with my Savior, and His people,
providing along the the way encouragement and
admonishment for my growth;
“bread” - Christ Himself, my all-in-all.

The Lord says, “hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness” (v. 2). It’s an all-you-can-eat spiritual buffet!! If I’m not eating and being nourished and strengthened it’s no one’s fault but my own.

“For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace.” Isaiah 55: 12a

1 comment:

missionarymomofthree said...

I'm so glad we will still be able to "connect" here.....i'm always encouraged by your thoughts and teachings.
I miss you lots already....we are very busy and surrounded by dear friends, but in some ways it's lonely....i miss everyone so much already!
But God is good in ALL things, so I am very much looking forward to what He has planned for us...and for YOU friend!!!
love you!